Tuesday, July 29, 2008

100 Pushups in 6 Weeks?

I read somewhere that the push-up is the basic measurement of strength (for non-bodybuilders like m'self). I consider myself fit enough and not an utter weakling, but I can't do more than 20 push-ups in one swoop.

This must be corrected.

I stumbled upon hundredpushups.com and thought the program a fine and noble thing to undertake. It basically puts forward a plan to build yourself up: 10 push-ups, rest 60 seconds, 10, rest, 8, rest, 6, rest, maximum push-ups. Then increase the amount of repetitions and the rest time two days later. Simple, right?

I could not get through the second set of 10. Lame. I had to drop to knee-style (in other words, pansy-style) push-ups, which the site recommends for beginners. I didn't have a mat, unfortunately, so I did the repetitions on a hardwood floor. This probably contributed to my knee problems, which I'll tell you about some other time.

So I have to dive back into the 100 push-up program, but this time at a much lower number. Or maybe I'll try to Slow Burn my way to musclinity?

No comments: