Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Keeping an Unsustainable Pace

Blogging this much will not last, but it's a new toy and I'm in a slow period.

Where's aak? If his maintenance of this blog over the past 2 years is any indicator, I'm all alone here. I guess I could check his twitter to see what he's reading (something Japanese) or doing (eating Japanese food, socializing with Japanese, or perhaps watching anime).

I wonder if a root beer float would taste good if I replace the root beer with Diet Pepsi and the vanilla ice cream with some sort of Hagen Dazs toffee caramel mixture.

I have never been in a life and death situation. I have no idea what percentage of the population has, so it's probably no biggie, but it bugs me that there are things that I don't know about myself as a result. The other night, girlfriend and I were walking around to see the DC monuments at night. I especially like the WWII one, but I like it during the day too. At one point we walked by a trash can and a rat or a squirrel or something started freaking out inside it. It scared the bejesus out of me. Not a proud, manly moment. If that's any indicator, I wouldn't make it to Everest in 2-3 years.

Here's what's frustrating: I enjoy a particular sport and have nobody to share it with. I watch mixed martial arts, read some websites, daydream about potential fighter matchups while on the subway, and occasionally try to put a submission move on friends. Well, I tried once to put aak in a Kimura and was surprised at how well he fought it. I think of arguments and questions about a particular issues. It then becomes downright weird when someone gives me a window, like "so, who's this guy [on TV]," or "What are you watching," or "I'm tired. I don't feel like chatting right now." In such cases I kind of go off on a rant and watch their stare become a glazed over look of utter boredom. I can't help it, though. I have all kinds of pent up ideas at that point. When it comes to football or baseball, there's a TON of people who are junkies for that stuff, but my obsession is still up-and-coming (though I think very trendy). Plus, my friends are not generally of the "Yeah, look at them bleed!" variety.

No comments: