Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Couple More Things That Need To Go: What I Hate about You

Revisiting and continuing the list from last month:

1. Ironic strike-out text in blogs.

2. "I just threw up a little in my mouth."

3. Putting your Facebook status to "is" or "just is." That is seriously lame. In the past 72 hours, six different people on my friends list have put their status as "is." And I don't have that many friends. (I guess I'll have fewer if they find out I'm calling them lame. Oh well. At least my Facebook homepage will be infinitesimally less lame overall, then.) Be more descriptive, or don't update.

4. Commercials that resort to using the song "What I Like about You" by The Romantics. A non-exhaustive list on Wikipedia includes 8 products that this song has been used to hock. It's used in movies nonstop. A few years after the song's release, The Romantics actually filed a lawsuit against their managers because the song was licensed for commercial use without their consent. THAT WAS IN NINETEEN EIGHTY-SEVEN. I heard the poppy little ditty in the background of a Papa Johns' commercial last week. Advertising companies, there is more music in the world. Resorting to "What I Like about You" is a give-up move.

No comments: