Saturday, August 09, 2008

Lawn Workin' It

I mowed my lawn today.

Riveting news, I know. But I loved it.

I think it's the nostalgia. I haven't mowed a lawn in, say, 10 years? Back when my parents lived upon a 3/4-of-an-acre hill. I hated doing mowing, just like I hated all yardwork and any other chore. I didn't understand why scientists hadn't developed a no-cut grass that only grows to a certain height. I also didn't understand why we had to keep it so short. My father liked the grass at no more than a buzz-cut. It was so lame, going up and down the hill, every week or so. It felt pointless.

But today felt kinda awesome. The sun was bright without humidity, there was a slight breeze, and I don't know why but it was a relief to do. I don't know how much lawn we have. I think maybe less than 3/4 of an acre, but not much less.

It's partly because I've been living in apartment after apartment for so long that I was lonely for a lawn without realizing it. Not that I use the lawn around my new group house that much. Today was the first time I had spent out in it for more than a minute. But having a lawn is great. You look outside and you see a wide expanse of green. I missed that.

No comments: